- For Dry Rub
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 TB paprika
- 1 TB kosher salt
- 1 1/2 TB freshly ground pepper
- 1/2of tsp cayenne
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 TB onion powder
- 4-5 pounds pork shoulder or butt
- 2 cups cola or root beer
- 3 TB liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 bottles candy toddler ray honey bbq sauce, depending on how saucy you want it
- Make dry rub by mixing first 7 ingredients collectively.
- Using paper towels, dry pork. Press dry rub generously onto pork, on all sides. Wrap pork tightly in double foil and let it rest in a single day in fridge.
- Remove foil from pork and set lightly in slow cooker. Pour in 2 cups cola or root beer and 3 T liquid smoke. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for approximately 10 hours.
- Remove and shred pork. Reserve cooked pork juices into separate bowl and skim off fats. Put shredded pork back into slow cooker. Mix in 1 bottle bbq sauce. Add as much as reserved pork juices as desired. Add more bbq sauce if desired. the meat will soak in up a lot of the moisture. Once it is to your liking, cook on low for another 30 min to 1 hour.