- 3-3.5 lbs Chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Rib celery, minced
- 2 Large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 Yellow onion, minced
- 6 Large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Light red wine
- 4 cups Beef stock
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 lb Mushrooms, halved
- 1 lb Green beans, trimmed and halved
- 3 Large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 Large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- Season meat with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron over medium heat. work in small batches cook the meat until sides are browned, but not cooked through.
- Add meat to slow cooker. In the same skillet used for the meat add the minced onions, celery and carrots. deglaze the pan with a little beef stock If necessary . Cook until vegetables are tender, stir every 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, for 2 more minutes.
- add wine and permit to simmer till reduced through 1/2 and slightly thickened, approximately 3 minutes. add the wine mixture to the slow cooker in conjunction with the beef stock, bay leaf, and mushrooms. Set slow cooker on high for 3 hours.
- “add the larger greens, carrots, green beans and potatoes in the slow cooker and cook on high heat for 1 more hour.”. If you cook the stew on low, then set the slow cooker on low for 6 hours. Add the larger vegetables and cook on low for 2 more hours.
Add more salt to taste if needed.