- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 leeks, sliced into half-inch half moons (white and light green parts only)
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 of cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 pounds yukon gold potatoes, cut into bit-sized chunks
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or less, if you prefer)
- Fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Optional toppings: Home made croutons, grated parmesan, chopped fresh chives
- Heat olive oil in a big stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the leeks, celery and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the white wine and use a wooden spoon to lift off any browned bits which are stuck to the bottom of the stockpot. Add the potatoes, vegetable stock, thyme, bay leaves, cayenne and stir to mix.
- Cook until the soup starts to simmer then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 mins, till the potatoes are soft.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and thyme stems. Taste the soup for seasoning and adjust salt and black pepper to your liking.
- Serve warm & garnished with your desired toppings and enjoy!