- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion -diced
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 2 half of tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 half of cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz..) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz..) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. add the onion. cook five mins, stirring every now and then.
- add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. cook for 6-7 mins, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. stir until nicely combined. add the broth, diced tomatoes (with their juice), drained beans, and tomato sauce. stir nicely.
- bring the liquid to a low boil. then, lessen the heat (low to medium-low) to gently simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring on occasion
- get rid of the pot from the heat. let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes earlier than serving.