- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup unsalted butter cubed
- 1 large egg beaten
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts optional
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease an 8×8″ square baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture until a coarse crumb forms.
- Add in the egg, milk, and vanilla and mix with a rubber spatula just until combined. The batter will be lumpy. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar, then sprinkle it over the top of the batter in the pan. Use a butter knife to cut lines through the batter. Sprinkle the top with the chopped walnuts, if desired.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, then allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Whisk together the water and powdered sugar to make the glaze and drizzle over the top of the cake before slicing and serving.