- 4 pounds apples, ideally a combination of Granny Smith and Rome, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 pound thawed frozen all-butter puff pastry
- 1 large egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together apples, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and allspice. In a large straight-sided skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over high heat. add 1/2 of fruit mixture and cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Lessen heat to medium-high and cook until fruit is softened, about 5 minutes more. switch to a bowl. Repeat with last 3 tablespoons butter and remaining fruit mixture, then return first batch of fruit mix to pan. Stir in bourbon, then add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Divide fruit mixture among six 8-ounce spherical baking dishes (each 5 inches). Place on a rimmed baking sheet; let cool completely .
On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry to a 12-through-8-inch rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick. cut out six 4-inch squares; place one over filling in each dish. Cut x-shaped vents in tops. Brush pastry with beaten egg. Bake until fillings are effervescent and crusts are golden, 25 to 30. Let cool 10 mins, then serve with ice cream.